CNN Travel created a good test of travel knowledge. The World Wonders portion of the quiz was a bit tricky. You got a break though as some of the answers were included with the quiz and you had a couple of extra hours to take it thanks to a formatting problem. 🤣 I hope you took the quiz either in your mind or in the comments and did well. After three hours of trying to fix the formatting issue with WordPress help I gave up and am posting as is.
1. Where can you find these pyramids?
Egypt was obvious. I’ve seen the pyramid in Rome. I thought the Mayan pyramid was in Honduras and had no idea about the Sudan pyramids.
2. Which is the world’s largest island? Answer: Greenland
Australia is an island but is considered a continent. All continents are islands or part of islands.
3. Which country is home to Europe’s largest natural desert? Answer: Spain
Bardenas Reales National Park is the greatest desert in Europe with around 42,000 hectares in the great depression of the Ebro Valley, south of Navarra and north of Spain. The Spaghetti Westerns were filmed there and in southern Italy.
4. Match the image to the US National Park:
75%. I did not recognize Canyon Lands National Park
5. Can you name the oceans that make up the so-called seven seas? Answers: The Arctic Ocean, the North Atlantic Ocean, South Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the North Pacific Ocean, the South Pacific Ocean, the Southern Ocean. Did you I correctly separate the Atlantic and Pacific into northern and southern sections. I didn’t.
Last year Victor Vesco led an expedition that made him the first person to reach the deepest point of the five oceans. The expedition recorded many other firsts, including the world’s deepest manned dive in history, 10,925 meters at the Mariana Trench’s Challenger Deep.
7. Match these desert oddities to their locations:
The Atacama Desert in northern Chile is the driest non-polar desert on Earth. The Hand of the Desert is located at kilometer marker 1309 on the Pan-American Highway.
8. Which is the only one of the world’s 10 longest rivers to flow northward? Answer: The Nile
9. Where can you no longer see the Azure Window? Answer: Malta The Azure Window was a magnificent sea arch 50 meters tall. It collapsed in 2017. The arch was used a s a backdrop in films such as “Clash of the Titans” (1981), “The Count of Monte Cristo” (2002) and the first season of “Game of Thrones.”
10. Which place receives the most annual rainfall: Answer: b. Mawsynram, India
Mawsynram, located in the Meghalaya State in India, is the wettest place in the world. It receives an annual rainfall of 11,871 millimeters.
I hope you enjoyed the quiz. It is pass/fail. Anyone who takes the quiz passes. In the days of coronavirus, these quizzes expand my knowledge without traveling and stokyge my desire to visi some of these far away places at some point in the not to distant future.
This portion of the quiz makes me want to visit Bardenas Reales National Park in Spain and the Atacama Desert in Chile. Have you been inspired to add any destinations to your bucket list?